DeWitt County Obituaries
A - B

Names In Alpha Order


The following article appeared in the 14 March 1890 issue of The Clinton Public.

"LIGHTS OUT." Death of Dr. W. H. H. Adams, Formerly Pastor of the M. F.Church in Clinton.

. . . on Wednesday [morning] . . . Dr. ADAMS . . . died . . . at Hot Springs, Ark . . . .

William Henry Harrison ADAMS was born in Effingham county, Ill., an the 30th of March, 
1840, and would have been fifty years old if he had lived till the last of this month.  
He was a nephew of Mrs. Aaron NAGELY, of this city.  His father was a farmer and the 
Doctor was raised on a farm.  His first work as an educator was in a log school-house 
in Coles county when he was yet but a lad.  He entered the Northwestern University at 
Evanston to prepare for the ministry, and when he was but seventeen years old he was 
icensed to preach.  In the year 1862 he left college and entered the army as a private 
soldier and served nine months in the ranks, when he was promoted to First Lieutenant.  
He organized the colored men and drilled over two thousand of them.  He W2S promoted to 
be captain and then major of his regiment, and held that position till he was mustered 
out with his regiment on the 4th of July, 1865.  He then returned to Northwestern to 
complete his studies for the ministry.  In 1867 he was married to Miss Hannah CONCKLIN, 
of Plymouth, Ohio, who with her five children survive.  Two of his children were born 
while he was pastor of the M. E. Church in Clinton.

In 1870 Dr. ADAMS graduated from the University, and at once began a brilliant career as 
a minister.  In the fall of 1872 he became pastor of the M. E. Church in this city, and 
for three years served the congregation here till in 1875 he was called to the Presidency 
of the Wesleyan University. Clinton never had a more popular minister . . . .       When 
he came to Clinton the church was burdened with a debt of $14,000, and to remove this 
was his first concern.  Day and night fie labored to that end, and at last on one Sabbath 
in the second year of his pastorate the full amount was subscribed and the burden was 
removed.  This gave him a reputation as a debt killer and when the Wesleyan was groaning 
under 2 load of $30,000 or $40,000 of debt Dr. ADAMS was the man singled out to remove it. 
And he did it and Freed the University from debt . . . .


The following article appeared in the 25 January 1889 issue of The Clinton Public.

Four weeks ago William Arnold was taken sick with measles, and as he had about passed the 
dangerous stage of that disease typhoid fever set in, from which he died on last Tuesday.  
Deceased was the son of Asher Arnold, and was nineteen years, four months and ten days old. 
For several years he was in the employ of Dr. Warner   . . . .

The funeral services were held at the house of his father on Wednesday afternoon, conducted 
by the Rev. W. A. Hunter.  The Sons of Veterans of this city took charge of the ceremonies 
and bore the remains of their young comrade to Woodlawn Cemetery.
Mr. Asher Arnold’s family has had their share of affliction during the past few months.  
One of his sons was confined to his bed for weeks by sickness, and when he recovered Mr. 
Arnold was prostrated by sickness from which he has not yet thoroughly recovered.  Now to
add to the sorrows of the household Death claims the second son.


The following article appeared in the 21 April 1899 issue of the Clinton Register.

FOUR SCORE AND THREE.  Mrs. Eliza A. Argo joins Loved Ones On the Other
Shore.  Came to Clinton Over Half a Century Ago When it had but Fifteen Families.

One by one this county's oldest and best citizens pass to the world beyond.  This
week one that had seen Clinton, and, in fact the county, grow from her childhood, was
called to her final rest.  Mrs. Eliza A. Argo, who died last Monday morning at 6 o'clock,
came to Clinton with her husband and children in 1844, and settled upon the old place
known as the old Argo homestead, consisting of 140 acres which was purchased at six
dollars per acre, all lying now within the city limits.  Prior to settling upon this place
they stopped a few months in the small house between the property owned by Mrs. J. M.
North and their son, T. J. Argo, three blocks southeast of the square.  At the time of their
removal to Clinton it had a population of fifteen families, and but ten small, rude houses
sheltered them.

Mrs. Eliza A. Argo was 83 years, 6 months and 28 days old when she was
relieved from her suffering.  She had been a constant sufferer for years; but her principal
affliction was diabetes, which caused her death.  She was known by all as Grandma
Argo.  During all her years of suffering not one complaint did she ever utter.  She united
with the Methodist church when quite young, and never was there a person who lived a
nobler, purer and better Christian life.  It was her constant aim to always do good for
evil, and never to speak a word that would wound others' feelings.  Her mother was the
first white child born in Clermont county, 0. The deceased was married to Alexander
Argo in 1834, he died Aug. 8,1883, aged 75 years, 8 months and 15 days.

During their early life, both in Ohio and Illinois, they suffered much, as all early
settlers do, from exposure, etc.  She attended church in the old court house, with the
fan-Lily on Sundays, and as the sheep sheltered themselves in the same building during
the nights it was not the most inviting place until a janitor had made a change of the
room.  She had devoted a great deal of her time to the temperance cause, and gave
money freely for its advancement.  She was president of W. C. T. U. of this city for
many years during its early organization.  After she became so afflicted that she could
not attend the meetings she was succeeded by Mrs, Dr. Downey, at her own request.

Mr.  Susan Frambers, sister of the deceased, living in this city, is the only child
living out of a family of nine children.  Mrs. Frambers is 81 years old, and was too feeble
to attend the funeral of her sister.

Mrs. Argo was the mother of six children, five of whom are living in and
adjoining the city.  The first born, Martin Luther, died in infancy.

The children living are as follows: Mrs. Lewis Campbell, 63 years old; Samuel
M., 62 years old; Emanuel G,, 61 years old; Thomas, 58 years old; and William, 45 years
old, all of whom were present at the funeral.  All the grandchildren, twenty-six, were
present, excepting two, Mrs. John Graham, of Lexington, Ok., and Mrs. W. E. Smith, of
Urbana.  The twenty nine great grandchildren were nearly all at the funeral.

But two persons are yet living in Clinton that were here at the time Mr. and Mrs.
Argo moved to Clinton.  They are C. H. Moore and John Warner.

Deceased with her husband began life in a very humble way and by industry and
fair dealings with all they were able to accumulate a comfortable fortune.  The vast
estate was never divided after the death of Mr. Argo, as it was the wish of the widow
for it to remain under her control.  The estate consists of about four hundred acres of
land in this county, eighty acres of which is inside the city limits, and several houses and
lots in this city.

The funeral services took place from the residence, Wednesday afternoon at 2
o'clock, conducted by Rev.  J. B. Homey and Dr. W. A. Hunter.  Rev.  Homey spoke of the
deceased's past life, as always trusting in the Lord, and had expressed her great hope
for the future only a few days ago to Mr. Homey.

The pall bearers were Rev.  Lewis Campbell, Wood River, Neb.; Chas.  C. Argo,
Geo.  G. Argo, Alexander Campbell, Petersburg, Ill.; Luther M. Argo, Fred N. Argo,
Alexander Argo, W. C. Campbell, all grandchildren.


The following article appeared in the 4 March 1892 issue of The Clinton Public.


In this city, on last Saturday morning, after being confined to his home for weeks, David 
Barclay departed this life in his thirty eighth year.  He was a descendant from a long line 
of Scotch ancestry but Was born in Ireland an the 9th of December, 1854, where his parents
were temporarily sojourning.   At an early age David lost his mother.  When he was but seven 
years old his parents came to this country, and his father bought land in Texas township, where
David grew to manhood.  For four years he taught in country schools, and for two years he was
the deputy in the county clerk's office under Gus Lisenby.  For three years he represented 
Texas township in the board of supervisors of this county and for two years he was chairman of 
that body. David was a great reader and was well accomplished not only in political history
but also in general history.   The work of the farm was too hard for him, so he concluded to 
read law, and to that end he put in a couple of years with Messrs. Moore & Warner. On the 16th 
of June, 1888, he was admitted to the bar, and a few months later he formed a partnership
with William Gambrel which continued till Mr. Barclay's death.  On the 31st of December, 1889, 
he was united in marriage to Mary, daughter of the late Benjamin Miller, and two daughters 
blessed their home.  David's father died June 28, 1891.

When the present fire department of Clinton was organized David Barclay became an active member
serving first as treasurer and later as captain of the hook and ladder truck. Last April he was 
elected as an alderman for the Third Ward, and on account of his careful business habits was at
once selected as chairman of the finance committee . . .

The funeral services in the Presbyterian Church last Monday afternoon were attended by the 
Masonic fraternity of Maroa, of which Mr. Barclay was a member . . . . The fire department also
turned out partly uniformed. The services in the church were conducted by Rev. W. A. Hunter. 
The floral offerings were very fine and attested the esteem in which the deceased was held. 
One of the floral pieces represented a bell, the offering of the fire department.  This was 
suspened in front of the altar in the church and directly over the casket.

The members of the bar, of which Mr. Barclay was an honored member, attended in a body.  The 
bar also passed suitable resolutions. 

Within a few months death has taken two prominent young men who were raised in Texas township . 
. . .   Filbert C. Kelly and David Barclay were warm friends from their boyhood . . . . and in
their death only a few months intervened.


The following obituary appeared in the 15 December 1893 issue of The Clinton Public.

Old Pioneer of DeWitt County Gone.

Elizabeth Barnett, wife of the late A. L. Barnett, was the daughter of Mahlon Hall and 
Cassander Hall, (nee Parker,) and was born in Bourbon County, Ky., on the 28th day of February, 
1813, was the member of a family of fourteen children, ten brothers and three sisters, the wife 
of McCarty Hildreth being her twin sister.  She became a member of the Christian Church at 
Cambridge, Bourbon County, Ky., November 20, 1827, being baptized by her uncle, Aquilla Parker, 
a Christian preacher.  She came to this country with her father and family and located on 
section 33, Barnett township, then Macon County.  She was married to Alexander L. Barnett, 
November 20th, 1834, and on the 20th of March, 1836, they located on their own home, section 30, 
Clintonia township, three miles west of Clinton, where they continually lived until March 20, 
1885, just forty-nine years, where was born to them twelve children, five dying in infancy, one 
daughter dying at the age twenty-two years, six children surviving her, viz., W. B. Barnett, 
J. R. Barnett, Cassander McDonald, Juliet Morrow, John A. Barnett and Alexander Barnett.  She 
was one of the charter members of seventeen persons that organized Old Union Church in August, 
1833 .... Her husband preceded her to the future world on the 30th of April, 1886.  She has 
surviving her nineteen grand-children and twelve great-grandchild.  She was a consistent
Christian, a kind mother, a good neighbor, always lending a helping hand to the sick and 
distressed; suffering privation herself for the comfort of others.... She has kept the faith 
in which she died at the home of her son Alexander, on the 7th of December, 1893, at the ripe 
old age of eighty years, nine months and nine days, and her remains were laid to rest in the 
family burying ground near the old homestead to await the resurrection mom....


The article that follows appeared in the 22 March 1889 issue of The Clinton Public.

Nearly sixty years ago the advance guard of the Barnett family came from Kentucky and located 
in this county.  They settled in what is now Barnett township, and in honor of the family that 
name was given to the township.  There was four brothers of them and with their father they all
finally settled in this county.  In 1831 one of the brothers made his first entry of land.  
James Barnett was the last member of the family, and he died last Tuesday, in his seventieth 
year.  James Barnett was born in Kentucky on the 8th of November, 1819, and with his wife and 
one daughter, Sarah, came to this county early in the forties.  His life was spent on the 
section of land which he first entered when he came to Barnett Township.  He was the father of 
five children, three of whom survive him in the later years of his life he united with the 
Christian Church.  At his death he was the owner of 340 acres of valuable land, a large amount 
of personal property, and in addition he left his family an insurance policy of $3000 on his 


The following article appeared in the 16 September 1898 issue of The Clinton Register.

CALMLY MEETS DEATH.  William B. Barnett, One of This County's Most Honored
Citizens Passes Away.

When the sad news was reported about the streets Wednesday forenoon, that W.
B. Barnett could live but a short time, it brought forth one general regret.  At 3:15 in the
afternoon the final summons came, and the spirit of William B. Barnett took its flight to
He who gave it.

Probably no person had a larger acquaintance in the county than Mr. Barnett, he
having been born and spent his entire life in this county.  He was born about three miles
west of this city on what is known as the old Barnett homestead.  He entered into the
sewing machine business in this city in 1872 and continued in the same up to the time of
his death.  His long experience in this business made him an expert and he was perfectly
familiar with every sewing machine upon the market.

The world is better off that such a man as W. B. Barnett had spent 63 years here.
He was conscientious and honest in all his dealings, and was not a man possessed of so
much greed as is daily seen in many of our people, he believing in "live and let live" idea.
He owned a fine farm west of this city, part of which was the old homestead.  He took
great delight in driving out to this old home once or twice each week.  He was well edu-
cated, and few men were better posted upon the leading topics of the day than was Mr.
Barnett.  Politically he was a staunch Democrat, and could defend his party in an able
and intelligent manner.

About a year ago he fell from a scaffold in the northwest part of the city while he
was superintending some repair work and received severe internal injuries from which he
never thoroughly recovered, he having been under the doctor's care much of the time
since.  About two months ago he had a severe spell of sickness from which he had been
able to be about for some days.  On the third of September he, in company with his wife,
went to Chicago and remained until Monday.  Last Friday he was taken suddenly with
vomiting and continued to grow worse very rapidly until death came.  The cause of his
death is given as pneumonia.

W. B. Barnett was born 3 1/2 miles west of this city, August 21, 1835, being at the
time of his death less than one month over 63 years old.  He and Mrs. Sarah E, Duncan
were joined in marriage August 26,1855.  By this union one child was born, Wm, A.
Barnett, who resides in this city and is 40 years of age.  He has three brothers living,
Alexander, Richard, and John, and two sisters, Mrs. Thomas Morrow, and Mrs. Cassie
McDonald, all living in this city.  Father of the deceased, A- L. Barnett moved to this
county in 1832, and located on a farm three and a half miles west of Clinton, where the
entire Barnett family was born and raised.

Mr. Barnett was an active member of the Christian church, he having professed
religion during a revival in the old Union church which stood near Hallville, over 25
years ago, during which time he had lived an exemplary life.  He was elected clerk of the
Christian church of this city one year ago, and still held the office at the time of his
death.  For a number of years after his marriage he lived on the old homestead, and
managed the affairs for his father.  In 1872 he moved to this city and engaged in the
sewing machine business.  At this time he had the exclusive agency for the Wheeler &
Wilson machine.  After they had lived here 8 years Mrs. Barnett became dissatisfied and
moved back to the farm, yet Mr. Barnett continued in the machine business.  In 1882 the
family again came to Clinton where they continued to reside.

The funeral will take place this afternoon from the Christian church at 2 o'clO4Ck,
conducted by Rev.  E. A. Gilliland the pastor, after which the remains will be I
in Woodlawn to await the dawn of the resurrection morning.


The following article appeared in the 16 October 1903 issue of The Clinton


Hamilton Barr was born Dec. 13,1826, two miles west of Waynesville, on what was then Section
36, Atlanta Township, Logan county, and he had the distinction of being the first white child
born in that township.  His death occurred about a mile away from the place of his birth.  
He was aged 76 years, 9 months and 20 days.  His parents were John and Comfort (Marvel) Barr,
natives of South Carolina and Delaware respectively.  By a coincidence they were both born 
the same day-April 4, 1799.  Their marriage was solemnized in the Hoosier state, which they 
left in the spring of 1825, traveling with an ox cart to Sangamon county, Illinois.  After 
residing fifteen miles north of Springfield for about twelve months, the parents of our 
subject took possession of the farm upon which Hamilton was born.  It was a tract of 160 
acres which Mr. Barr entered and improved and to which he subsequently added 320 acres in 
Barnett township, DeWitt county.  The parental family consisted of eight children: Lavina, 
who died in childhood; Nancy, now Mrs. Botkin, of Texas; Hamilton; Prettyman, who died in 
California; John, in Oklahoma; Hiram, who died while young; Mrs. Elizabeth Michaels
and Comfort, wife of Joseph Garrett, of Waynesville.

Hamilton Barr studied in the primitive school house, whose homemade furniture and few text 
books afforded a decided contrast to the modern equipment of school and scholars.  He was 
an inmate of his father's house until his marriage to Miss Sidonia Michaels Feb. 28,1850.  
She was born in Mecklenburg, Germany, Feb. 8,1831, and was a daughter of Adam and Jane 
(Ochart) Michaels, natives of the Kingdom of Saxony.  She emigrated with her parents to 
America in 1837.  They landed at New York City and went inland to Ohio, where they resided 
until 1847, when they came to the locality of Waynesville, Illinois.

After his marriage Mr. Barr continued farming and stock raising, and ... became owner of 
about 1,800 acres of our richest soil west and southwest of Waynesville.  Unfortunately he 
lost the bulk of his fortune a few years back in the grain business.  However, he continued 
to farm with undaunted energy.  Mr. Barr was a most industrious man, moral, upright, and 
honest.  While not a church member, he ... was a firm believer in Christianity.  He was a 
life-long Democrat .... He and his estimable wife, who survives him, were the parents of 
eleven children.  John A., Thomas and Sidonia died in childhood.  The eight surviving are 
Sarah, the wife of James Adair, of Waynesville; Albert, in Kansas; Amelia, wife of Michael 
Schuh of Greenfield, Ia.; Emma, wife of J. C. Wilson; Mary, wife of David Organ; William, 
Edward and Nancy, all of Waynesville. - Waynesville Correspondent.


BARR, John was born in South Carolina, Apr 4, 1799 and died May 13, 1882.  Moved from South
Carolina to Tennessee, and from there to Indiana.  On Jan 31, 1822 married Comfort Marvel.
In 1824 to Sangamon Co., Ill for one year, and then to DeWitt Co., Ill, where they settled
for life.  Became wealthy.  Wife died 17 yrs. ago.  Leave children and grandchildren, two of
whom are ministers of M. E. Church.  By T. Rogers (June 21, 1882)


The following article appeared in the 10 November 1899 issue of the Clinton Register.

FUNERAL OF MRS.  BEATTY.  Held in the Methodist Church Sunday.--Verdict of
the Coroner's jury.

The circumstances surrounding the death of Mrs. H. G. Beatty was considered
sufficient by the coroner's jury to warrant a verdict of suicide by setting fire to her
clothing while temporarily insane.  When Miss Arnold, the young lady in the employ of
Mrs. Beatty returned after being gone a short time she found all the doors locked but
one, and that had something against it.

Funeral services were held Sunday at 3 o'clock in the M. E. church, conducted by
Rev.  Horney.  The W.R.C., I.O.O.F. and G.A.R. orders attended, and the former conducted 
brief ceremonies in the church and at the cemetery.  There were numerous floral offerings.

During the discourse the minister read the following:

Salemna Susanna Stocking was born in Tripola, Wis., Jan. 10, 1848; died in her
home at Clinton, III., Nov. 3, 1899.  She was united in marriage to Henry G. Beatty on
March 27,1867.  To them were born, one daughter and four sons, all living and all
present at the funeral but Roy, who is in the state of Mississippi.  For sometime past
Mrs. Beatty had been afflicted with spells of melancholy, which in recent weeks had
been more frequent and of a more serious nature.  It was during one of these spells that
the sad and tragic end of life came.

Sister Beatty was converted and joined the Methodist church in 1871.  During the
years that have since passed she has been a conscientious worker for the Master.  Her
life was a living testimony in behalf of the Christian religion, and when health would
permit was ready always to help in the work of building up the Redeemer's kingdom

She was a painstaking, conscientious wife and mother whose life was wrapped
up in her children.  Their desires were her's, the least wish being gratified if it were in her
power to do so.  An obliging neighbor, a beautiful Christian, a devoted mother, a faithful
wife.  She will be rnissed, for her place will be vacant.

Besides the members of her immediate family, which consists of her husband,
Henry G. Beatty, and daughter, Mrs. Nellie Armstrong of Decatur, and four sons, Ernest,
Turner, Roy and Hobart, she leaves a brother, Hon.  H. M. Stocking of St. Paul; and a
sister, Mrs. George Huntington of Eau Claire, Wis., a stepmother, Mrs. James T. Stocking,
and a half sister, Mrs. Belle Deitrich, both of Navasota, Tex.  The friends have the deep
sympathy of the entire community in this sad hour of bereavement.


The following article appeared in the 16 April 1889 issue of The Clinton Public.

The sudden death, on last Wednesday, of Daniel Bosserman, one of the leading farmers of DeWitt 
township, has cast a gloom over that community...  Till the noon hour on Wednesday he was 
at work plowing in one of his fields, and then he unhitched his horses from the plow and 
started homeward.  His youngest son, Charley, was also at work in the field and started home 
about the same time that his father did.  Charley had put his team in the stable and when he 
came out of the barn he saw his father's team grazing by the roadside and his father laying
down.  He ran toward him and found his father unconscious.  He called for help and Uncle Daniel
was carried to the house and a man was dispatched to town for a physician...   At three 
o'clock he died. His death was caused by apoplexy...

Daniel Bosserman was born in Perry county, Ohio, on the 23d of January, 1824, and was married 
to Rachael Young, in Franklin county, Ohio, on the 12th of November, 1846.  The result of their 
union was ten children, seven of whom survive him.  He came to Illinois in 1860 and located on 
a farm in DeWitt township, where he lived for nearly twenty-nine years . . . .


The following article appeared in the 20 March 1896 issue of The Clinton Register.

W. N. BOTKIN PASSES AWAY.  Dies Suddenly of Heart  Trouble.--Almost an

William Needham BOTKIN was born in Clark county, Ohio, April 3, 1817, and died at
his home, near Kenney, March 13, 1896, being 78 years, 11 mos. and 10 days old . . . .

In Dec., 1838, he was united in marriage at London, O., with Nancy Ann STOUT.  She
was about three years his junior, being born April 10, 1820 in Madison county, 0. Early
in their married life they came with many others to Illinois, settling a few miles
northwest of DeWitt, this county. The first married couple to visit them was Dardaneles
F. ROBBINS and wife, the former being familiarly known as "Uncle Darr." Afterward
they moved to near Atlanta, Ill., then to Barnett township since which time they have
never quitted the country.

Seven children blest the union   Mary Elizabeth, now Mrs. Peter HOWARD, was born
Oct. 7, 1839; Missouri Ann, born April 1, 1841; Sarah Eliza, born Dec. 25, 1843 and died
Aug. 10, 1847; Joseph B., Feb.      14, 1848; David H. (now dead) Mar. 22, 1851; Geo. 
W., Dec. 15, 1856; Thomas, Feb. 29, the youngest now at home. All of the children alive
are at present living in this county.  Mrs. HOWARD at Kenney, Joseph and George at
Clinton where the former is chief of the city fire department and the other a trusted
employee of the I.C.R.R., while Thomas as before stated and Missouri are at home.  Of
direct descent there are 18 grand- children and 13 great-grandchildren . . . .


The following newspaper article appeared in the Ames, Oklahoma, Review on 14
November 1919.  Contributor of the article is Mrs. C. Sturgeon, 123 McKinley, Enid, OK

A Visit to My Childhood Home.

After an absence of 36 years, on the 15th day of October, 1919, I boarded a train for a
visit to the land of my childhood days in De Witt and Logan counties, Illinois.

After spending a few days with my brother Joseph at Laclede, Mo.,  accompanied by him
we turned our faces eastward again, arriving at Kenney, DeWitt Co., Ill.  Saturday 
evening, October 22.  While man had been busy and erected a thriving little town of
perhaps 800 inhabitants, cankering tooth of time had been busy and removed many
familiar landmarks.  In wandering through we met with but one person, and he was
feeble and gray, with whom we played when we were boys.

We made our home with our niece, Mary and her good husband James Kenney,
where every kindness was shown us.  Here we were by our brother W. F., familiarly
known as Wig, of Panola.  This is the first time we had met in 36 years, brother W. F.
being 84 years old, brother Joseph 73 and I 78. Words cannot express the joy of this
meeting, we three being the last living members of the family of Joseph and Rebecca
Bowles.  Together we visited many places familiar to us in early life, but alas, how
changed, very few of our old associates remaining to greet us, reminding us that we too,
will soon be numbered with the pale shrouded cassons of the dead.

Among those whom we met in and around Kenney were W. W. John, whose head
is bowed with age and grief, being 76 years old and having recently buried a wife, two
daughters and a grandchild. Robert Black living two miles west of town.  He is 84 years
of age and bears them well and our stay with him was a feast of good things; Joseph
Kenney, Oscar and Wm. Shields and some others all whom seemed overjoyed to meet us
and our stay with them was one long to be remembered.

We visited old Tunbridge, but the old mill with its venerable Miller, John Morrison have
passed away.  The silent city of the dead near there has maintained a steady growth
through all these years and will soon have to be enlarged.  It has been well kept as has the
one at Pleasant Valley but the one at Old Union has been sadly neglected.

At Clinton among others we met Elder T. T. Holton, now 80 years of age, with whom we
worshipped at Old Union more than 45 years ago, David McClimans aged 84, Mrs.
Maggie Stewart 82, Mrs. Mollie Rogers 80, Mrs. Sweeney 78, Alfred Summers 82, H.. 
G. Beaty, 84.  All these seemed hale and hearty and it did our souls good to meet and
greet them.

Seeing Clinton, we visited a short time at our brothers at Panola, then turned our faces
homeward.  We are now, Nov. 9, at my brother Joseph's daughters, Nona, home in
Mammoth, Ill.  In the morning we shall bid them farewell and resume our homeward
journey.  We were somewhat disappointed at the general appearance of things. These had
not been the advancement and improvement we expected to see. This was especially
noticeable in their towns and cities which certainly have not kept pace with our western
towns.  The crops are below average.  Very little real good corn was visible from the

Hoping to be in Oklahoma soon, I am Very Truly Yours,

John A. Bowles


The following obituary appeared in the 17 Nov 1893 issue of The Clinton Register.

DIED AT DELAVAN.  Uriah Briggs, of Delavan is at rest in beautiful Woodlawn Cemetery.
Uriah BRIGGS was born at Canandaigua, N. Y., April 9, 1829.  In childhood, with his parents he 
came to Medina county, Ohio, near Cleveland.  There in 1850 he was married to Cornelia HATCH 
and with her came to Illinois the same year, settling near the present town of Morton, 
Tazewell county. Three years later they moved to the vicinity of Delavan, same county; and that
locality has since been his hone, the past ten years in that town.  Forty-three years of his 
life was spent in Tazewell county, and there he died Nov. 11, 1893, aged 64 years, 7 
months and 2 days.

There were four children born, one dying in childhood.  One daughter is the wife of John 
KILLOUGH and the other of Elmer E. KILLOUGH who have been residents of Clinton a number of 
years.  The youngest child, Melvin BRIGGS, has been employed in KILLOUGH's store some three
Funeral services were held at the residence in Delavan Sunday afternoon and Monday morning 
the remains were brought to Clinton, and after a brief service at the residence of John 
KILLOUGH, his remains were laid to rest in Woodlawn cemetery by his Masonic Brethren.

Mr. BRIGGS was a farmer and prospered in that pursuit.  In politics he was an ardent Republican . . . .


This most unusual obituary and family history appeared in the 28 April 1893 issue of The
Clinton Register.

FOUR SCORE AND THREE.  Brief Biography of an Octogenarian who Was Called From Earth One 
Week Ago.

L. M. Buck was born near Tromansbury, Tompkins, county, N. Y. May 14, 1810; departed this life 
April 20th 1893, at his home in Clinton, aged 82 years, 11 months, 6 days.  Few men can trace 
their antecedents further back than he could.  He had a record, to 621 to the first person 
hearing the surname of Buck.  He will give only a short genealogy of his direct family, 
beginning with their emigration to the United States.

Enoch Buck, born in Norfolk county England in 1624; settled at Weathersfield, Conn. in 1647; 
married Sarah Kirby; to them were born ten children.  

Ezekiel Buck, born Jan. 15, 1650; married Rachel Andrews; to them were born 11 children.  

Enoch Buck born April 59 1683, married Mary Bebee; to them were born 11 children.  

James Buck, born Mar 24, 1726, married, Feb. 25, 1749 to Elizabeth Sherman, sister of Roger 
Sherman, the signer of the Declaration of Independence, both are buried at the old cemetery 
at New Milford, Conn. to them were born 10 children.  

William Sherman Buck father of L. M. Buck, born in New, Milford, Con..  Feb. 17, 1764; married 
Barentha York, Apr. 27, 1787.  She was born at Stonington, Conn.  Sept. 27, 1770; to them were 
born 13 children whose names are Amos York, James, Sherman Aholiab, William Miner, Harman Camp, 
Lucretia York, Homer.  Hiram, Elizabeth, Morton, Judson, Louis Margan and Aseph.  

Louis Morgan Buck was married to Harriet L. Smith, Mar 29, 1832; to them were born 12 children, 
four of whom died in infancy.  The remaining are Margan L., Aseph, Peter, who was killed at the 
battle of Dallas, Georgia, May 19,1864, while serving as a corporal in Co. C. 37th Ind.  Vol., 
Alzemo, Cornelia, Eliza, Jane and  Harriet.  After the death of his first wife he married Eliza 
Eden, Mar. 20, 1852; to them were born 5 children, Benjamin, Lucretia, Mary, Carter and Sarah; 
all of his children were born in Indiana.  

L. M. Buck began life as a cabin boy on the Ohio river at the age of 17 years; and ranked as 
pilot from Cincinnati to New Orleans, spending 15 winters in the south in the cotton trade.  
After leaving the river he followed farming in Dearborn county, Ind., up the year
1861.  He then sold his farm and moved on a farm near Wapella, IL About six years ago
he moved into Clinton where he resided till his death.  He furnished three boys, whose
combined service was nine years,, in the last war.  On account of Peter, of whom mention
has been made before in this article, he was drawing $12 per month as dependent
pensioner at the time of his death.  He leaves 55 grand-children and ten great
grandchildren.  His direct family numbers 90 members.  

In politics he was a Republican; in religious views, he was a Universalist.  

His funeral was conducted by Rev.  W. A. Hunter on April 22.  His remains are at rest in
Woodlawn cemetery


"John Burk, of Waynesville, who two weeks ago cut his foot with an ax while chopping for Wm.
Oakes, of Barnett township, died last Monday from blood poison, and was buried Tuesday at the
Catholic cemetery near Wapella.  The deceased was about twenty-one years old and was
regarded as a fine young man by all of his acquaintances."

 --The Clinton Register
 9 December 1887


The following article appeared in the 10 October 1890 issue of The Clinton Public.

Death of Benjamin Burroughs.

At his home in this city, on last Sunday morning, at five o'clock, Benjamin Burroughs departed this 
life.  He had been sick during the greater part of the summer, but nearly every day was able to be 
up town.  Two weeks ago last Friday his disease had taken such a firm hold on him that he was compelled 
to take to his b6d . . . .  It was imperative that the funeral take place on Sunday afternoon, and at 
four o'clock the services were held at the house and he was buried in Woodlawn Cemetery by the side of 
his wife.  The funeral services were in charge of the Odd Fellows lodge of this city, of which Mr. 
Burroughs was an active member.  As a mark of respect to Mr. Frank Burroughs (the only son of the 
deceased), who is a past Grand Chancellor of the Order of Knights of Pythias of Illinois, the members 
of Plantagenet Lodge, K. of P., attended the funeral in a body . . . .

Benjamin Burroughs was a native of the State of New York, being born in Conesus, Wyoming county, on the 
26th of August, 1827, his age at the time of death being sixty-three years, one month and nine days.  
When he was but twenty-three years old Mr. Burroughs and Miss Meranda L. Rose were united in marriage, 
on the 19th of May, 1850.  Six children blessed their union, one of whom died in early childhood, the 
other five, one son and four daughters survive their parents.  A few months after their marriage Mr. 
Burroughs began life as a hotel keeper in Wayland, New York, and for thirty-one years was engaged in 
that business.  When the Magill House was finished, in 1873, Mr. Burroughs became the landlord, and till 
1881 he managed that hotel, when he retired from the business.  Mrs. Burroughs died on the 7th of June, 
1880, which had the effect of changing his plans in life.  No hotel man had a wider acquaintance among the
traveling public, and as a landlord he was popular.

Mr. Burroughs probably ranked in membership one among the oldest Odd Fellows in the State.  He was 
admitted to the order in Perry, Wyoming county, New York, on the 17th of September, 1848, in Silver 
Lake Lodge, and for forty-two years he was Faithful to the principles of Odd Fellowship.

He was a man of warm friendships and kindly impulses.  He was an intense partizan and was a firm believer 
in the principles of Democracy.  He had the born elements of a leader, and if he had given his ability
and talents in the line of politics he would have made a success.  During his life in Clinton he was one 
of the regular delegates to all Democratic State and judicial conventions, and in county politics he was an
important factor . . . .
DWCGSQ: Home Page: