Make your own free website on

DeWitt County Obituaries

Names In Alpha Order


The following article appeared in the 8 March 1901 issue of The Clinton Register.

Ex-Mayor Magill Called from Earth.

At the home of his mother on North Madison street Sunday morning at 5 o'clock . . . the 
lifelight of Harry Magill went out.  He had been a sufferer for several months and his death 
was not unexpected.  He was never of robust health, but had not been confined to his bed until
last summer.  Being in failing health he, in company with Chas. Cline, went to Colorado, his 
physician believing he would be benefited there.  Soon after arriving at Colorado Springs, he 
was confined to his bed, and remained in the hospital several weeks.  At first it was thought 
he would never be able to return to Clinton, but lie improved and returned the last of October.
He was on the streets only a few times after his return.  He gradually grew worse . . . .

Henry Alfred Magill was born in Clinton April 20, 1864, and this has been his home. He was the
only son of Henry and Fannie Magill, his father dying several years ago.  His mother and two 
sisters, Mrs. Hattie Amsden of Clinton; and Mrs. J. D. Moore, of Decatur, survive him. He
attended school until 16 years old when he became clerk in the dry goods house of Magill Bros. 
in which his father was interested. In 1883 he accepted a position in Warner & Cols. bank, in 
which his father was also interested.  On account of poor health he was compelled to quit office
work in 1893, and had since not been actively engaged in any business.  In 1890 he was elected 
mayor of Clinton and was reelected, three times, serving eight years . . . .   The only other 
office he ever aspired to was member of the legislature for which he was a candidate one year 
ago, but failed to secure the nomination . . . .

He was a member of the Knights of Pythias order at Clinton, of the Elks at Bloomington and an 
honorary member of the Clinton fire department.

Funeral services were held Monday at the home at 3 o'clock, conducted by Rev. S. C. Black . .
The pall bearers were W. B. Hickman, W. M. Carter, C. M. Warner, C. W. Lemon, J. Q. Lewis, E. L.
Freudenstein.  Interment in Woodlawn.


The following obituary appeared in the 1 March 1901 issue of The Clinton Register.

AT SEVENTY-TWO YEARS.  John McMillin, Another of the Aged Fathers "At Rest Over There''-- 
Funeral Tuesday

John McMillin, one of the oldest and best known residents of DeWitt county, died Sunday night
at his home in Clinton at the age of over 72 years.  His death was due to rheumatism, from 
which he had been a sufferer for 30 years. He had been confined to the house all winter and
for the past two weeks had been paralyzed, but not until a week ago did he take to bed with a
severe chill . . . .

John McMillin was born on a farm in Champaign county, Ohio, November 29, 1828. At the age of 
ten years deceased was left an orphan and he made his home with different relatives until he 
reached the age of fifteen years, when he "tackled" the world to fight alone.  At Urbana, Ohio,
he apprenticed himself to a blacksmith.  After he mastered the trade he opened a shop of his 
own at Logansport, Ohio, and on August 2, 1849, was united in marriage to Miss Clarisa Niles 
at Urbana, 0. In 1856, the McMillin family, which consisted of two children, Ella and Robert, 
moved to Clinton, Ill., where the father opened a blacksmith shop in partnership with Geo.
Knadler on the lot where Jacob Tick's poultry house now stands.  He continued in that business
for two years, when he moved to the Knadler farm, northwest of Clinton, and began farming.  
The next year he purchased a farm in Barnett township.

About 1869, deceased was first stricken with rheumatism, and for a time it was thought he would
not recover.  He was taken to Hot Springs, where he recovered under treatment, but his health 
was wrecked.  He concluded to give up farming at that time and moved to Clinton, where he 
conducted a livery barn on East Main street.  In the business he suffered a great misfortune,
fire destroying the barn and all its contents, involving a loss of many thousand dollars to Mr. 
McMillin.  He rebuilt the barn but only ran it for one year, when he returned to the farm,
where he lived until a year ago last November when he retired and moved to Clinton.

Deceased leaves surviving an aged wife and one son, Albert McMillin.  Two children are dead, 
Ellen McMillin died Aug. 1858, and Mrs. Emma Jones died 1892 . . . .


The following article appeared in the 17 March 1893 issue of The Clinton Star.

Mrs. Eliza McVAY, an aunt of Emerson VANDERVORT of this city, died suddenly at her
home in Normal Sunday evening while eating supper, of heart failure.

Funeral services were held at the residence Tuesday afternoon at 1:30 o'clock.  The remains
were brought to Clinton on the evening train, and laid in Woodlawn cemetery beside her
husband who died in Texas township Mar. 10, 1871.

Mrs. Eliza VANDERVORT was born in Clermont county, Oh., August 26, 1827, and was
married to Ezra McVAY, Sept. 30, 1849.  In 1856 they came to Illinois and settled on a farm
in Texas township.  After the death of the husband and father the family remained on the
farm until the fall of 1881, when the deceased and her daughters, Misses Luella and
Florence, moved to Normal, Ill.  The oldest daughter became the wife of J. H. STAFFORD
while the family lived in this county, and died in May 1892.  Both surviving daughters
graduated at the Normal university and had been engaged in teaching.  For two years Miss
Luella had remained at home with her mother, and Miss Florence had continued teaching in
the Pontiac schools, a position she has now resigned, and will remain at home with her sister.


The following obituary appeared in the 11 March 1904 issue of The Clinton Register.

AGED MOTHER CALLED HOME.  Had Been a Resident of DeWitt County Nearly Sixty Four Years,
in Barnett Township.

Adaline HALL was the daughter of Aquilla and Polly BUCHANAN HALL and was born in Bourbon
county, Ky., Nov. 3, 1829.  Her father was the son of Mahlon HALL, who came to Illinois in 
1829.  The HALL family was of Virginia origin and among the pioneers of Kentucky and Illinois.
The other children in this family were as follows: Wm. HALL, Cassandra HALL (mother of Hugh 
BOWLES), Henry Parker HALL, Thos. D. HALL, and Aquilla P. HALL, of Clinton, now the only 
surviving member.  The father died in the fall of 1836 while on a business trip to Alabama.
The widow and the children came to Illinois in 1840, when Adeline was eleven years of age.  
They settled on the farm east of Hallsville, where the deceased grew to womanhood and where 
she has lived so long.  She was married April 7, 1847, to James Harvey HILDRETH, who was
prominent and well known in those early days.  They lived in Logan county not far from the 
town since built and now known as Chestnut. in this family there were four children: Mary 
Tabatha, who married Abner JACKSON; Henry C. HILDRETH, Sarah Catherine, who married Wm. 
WEEDMAN, and John H. HILDRETH, here present, who survives all the rest, and is now residing 
at Frankfort, Mo.  The deceased continued to live in Logan county till the death of her 
husband, June 4, 1853, and on March 3, 1868, was married to Harrison MEACHUM.  In 1873, they 
moved to the farm east of Hallsville.  They were blessed with eight children: William, now
residing on the farm; Cassandra, the wife of C. N. DAVIDSON, of Kenney; Kissiah, wife of A. P. 
KIRBY, of Covington, Tenn., all of whom survive their mother; Laura, who died at the age of 
two years; Florence, who also passed away in infancy; George, who died at the age of 21; 
Dora, who was a year younger, and the youngest the little girl, Lina, who went away to God 
when but a little more than two years old.  She confessed the Savior in early life and had 
membership in the Old Union congregation.  There are some present who remember seeing her 
baptized.  She placed her membership with this congregation in March, 1889 . . . .   The time 
of her pilgrimage was 74 years, 4 months and 3 days . . . .


The following article appeared in the 24 May 1889 issue of The Clinton Register.

Mrs. Sarah J. Mettlin died at her home in Kenney Tuesday, May 10, at 10 a. m., in the 60th 
year of her age.  Her death was caused by cancer of the breast, from which she had been a 
sufferer several years and which would yield to no medical treatment.  The funeral occurred 
from the house Thursday, at 10 a.m., Dr. Vasburg, D. D., of Decatur, officiating.  A large 
throng came to pay their last respects to the honored dead and accompany the soulless body 
to the Hutchin's family graveyard. . . .  The relatives and friends from a distance who 
attended the funeral were Walter Hutchin and Alexander Mettlin, of Decatur; Mr. and Mrs. 
Wallace Hutchin and daughter, Elfa, and Dr. Downey and wife, of Clinton; and Miss Belle 
Nesbitt, of Springfield.

Mrs. Mettlin's maiden name was Sarah J. Hutchin.  She was born in Butler county, C., April 19, 
1829.  With her father, Thomas Hutchin and family, she emigrated to Illinois in 1839 and 
settled on Salt creek, where her father is remembered as an extensive farmer.  In 1854 she 
married S. J. Mettlin, who died in Kenney in 1858.  She was early united with the Universalist 
church of Decatur, Ill., of which she remained a member to her death. . . .  Mrs. Mettlin 
leaves no children, her immediate family consisted of her youngest sister, Icyphene Hutchin, 
who had made her home with her for several years, and her niece, Sallie A. Turner, whom she 
adopted when five years old.  Besides a large circle of near relatives and friends, she 
leaves three sisters, all living in DeWitt county, Mrs. Mary Davenport, Mrs. J. R. Turner and 
Miss I. C. Hutchin, and three brothers, Wallace Hutchin, of Clinton, Ill., Wm. Hutchin, of 
Sundance, Wyoming Ty.; and Chas.  Hutchin, of Kenney.    --Kenney Gazette.


The following article was taken from the 8 March 1889 issue of The Clinton Public.

Mrs. Artemisia Mills, aged seventy-four years, nine months and eighteen days, died at her
home, west of this city, early on Wednesday morning.  She was barn in Bourbon county,
Kentucky, and came with her husband and children to Illinois in October, 1862, and they
made their home near Clinton.  Their first year in this county was spent on the farm now
owned by Mr. R. W. Sweeney, and then Mr. Mills bought the farm on which his aged widow
died last Wednesday.  Mr. W. A. Mills lived less than two years after coming to this county,
his death occurring on the 12th of July, 1864.  Mrs. Mills, who was the mother of nine
children, all but one living, kept the farm and managed it till her boys were able to relieve
her of the responsibility.  In her Kentucky home she united with the Christian Church, of
which she remained a . . . member during life.  She was buried in Woodlawn Cemetery


The following article appeared in the 12 October 1900 issue of The Clinton Register.

NEARLY FOUR SCORE AND TEN.  Bushrod W. Monson, Father of Attorney William Monson Dies of Old Age.

Bushrod W. Monson, father of Nancy M. Hutchin, wife of I. W. Hutchin; Mary T. McHenry, wife of 
R. P. McHenry, and William Monson, died at his home in Clinton on the 8th day of October, 1900,
at the age of 89 years, 8 months and eighteen days.

He was born in the state of New York January 23, 1811.  When quite young he moved with his 
parents to Cincinnati, 0. Soon after, both his parents died and left him, together with eight
other brothers and sisters, without homes and in a strange country.  He was apprenticed to a 
blacksmith and served his apprenticeship and followed the business near London, Madison county,
Ohio, for a number of years.  He was married in 1837 to Sabra Thomas, a young widow whose 
maiden name was Sabra Bates.  In 1847 they, together with their children, moved to Illinois and
settled on a farm four and one-half miles west of Clinton, where he lived and followed the dual
occupation of farmer and blacksmith until 1880, except two years--1858 and 1859--when he resided
in Clinton.  Since 1880 he has resided in Clinton . . . .  His wife died November 26, 1884.

Funeral services were held at the residence on West Washington street Tuesday at 2 o'clock, 
conducted by the Rev.  Gossow, assisted by the Rev. McArthur.  The Masons had charge of the 
remains.  Interment was in Woodlawn cemetery.


The following article appeared in the 3 May 1901 issue of The Clinton Register.

ANOTHER IS FALLEN.  An Aged And Honored Citizen Ends Life's Pilgrimage.  Was the Friend and 
Associate of Lincoln, Douglas, David Davis and Leonard Sweat.

. . . Clinton as He Found It.

When Mr. MOORE arrived in Clinton, or what was called Clinton in 1841, he met conditions that 
were not encouraging.  He had less than $250, thirteen law books and about as many other books.
The place was the county seat, yet there were only ten or twelve families, the entire population
being less than one hundred.  There were two or three log houses and about as many frame 
buildings an the square.  In the rear of one of these which stood on the east side of the 
square near the southeast corner, Mr. MOORE opened a law office, the front of the building 
being used for a residence.  Where the court house now stands was a frame 18x4O building used 
for a court house, church and for other purposes.  In it Peter CARTWRIGHT preached.  Mr. 
MOORE's first client was Wm. HICKMAN, for whom he won the suit.  In those days Waynesville was
the principal town in the county and Mt.  Pleasant, now Farmer City, was second.  Marion, now 
DeWitt, was first selected as the county seat, but it was soon changed to Clinton.

Beginning of His Great Wealth.

Mr. MOORE's first land-buying was buying at tax sale the land of non-residents, and as the land
was not considered valuable, he got it for little more than the taxes.  The first land owned by
him was west of the railroad from the ARGO homestead and the first house he built was on the lot
where Mrs. A. M. SACKETT lives, a part of the east portion of Mrs. SACKETT's residence being 
part of the house he built.  Land then sold for from $1.25 to $5.00 an acre and Mr. MOORE wisely
invested all his earnings in land.  In a few years he owned many hundred acres and continued to
buy as he could raise the money.  Until 1846 his land purchases were in small tracts.  In that 
year he bought his first farm, 120 acres, opposite his home farm one mile northeast of Clinton,
for less than $5 an acre.

Such were the conditions when the young lawyer came to make his home in the city that he saw 
grow from comparatively nothing to what it is today.  None but the pioneers know what it is to
grow up with the country.  Mr. MOORE was the last of those who were voters when he came to 
Clinton to pass away.  Judge McGRAW and others who welcomed him have long since died.

LINCOLN, DOUGLAS, David DAVIS, Leonard SWEAT, Henry S. GREEN and other noted men were his 
associates and he often met them as opposing counsel.  DAVIS was his first partner in land-
owning from early days until DAVIS' death.  It is said it was on the advice of DAVIS that he
began to buy land.  They owned as much as 30,000 acres in partnership.

Mr. MOORE's most liberal gifts were to the churches.  To the Methodist, Presbyterian and 
Christian churches he had given fine organs, and had donated over $3,000 to the Universalist 

His Fine Library.

He owned the largest and best private library in the state outside of Chicago. It contains many
thousand volumes from the first books published to the most recent.  Perhaps, for the number, 
there never was a finer and better selected library.  The selections had all been made by
himself, and no worthless books were bought.  Nothing gave Mr. MOORE greater pleasure than to 
have friends visit him in his library.  He took pride in explaining the books of antiquity and 
of their rarity and value.  One of the parts of the library that he felt great pride in was his
bound volumes of newspapers.  These comprise the Pantagraph and the New York Tribune from 1860 
and the Clinton papers from their first issue.  The latter he had intended giving to the county
when the new court house was built but as the vaults were too small for space to be given them,
this wish of Mr. MOORE was never realized.  It was known he was puzzled as to what disposition
to make of this large collection of books and papers.  Mrs. MOORE told the writer this gave him 
more concern than all his other property.  Considering that its value is perhaps $100,000. it 
is not to be wondered that he could not readily decide what should be done with it.  He had 
talked of leaving it to his son, also of leaving it to the city. Many believe the latter was 
decided upon, but it will not be known until the conditions of his will are made public.  If it 
is bequeathed to the city that had so long been his home, it is probable provision has been
made for the erection of a building for it.


Clifton H. MOORE was born in Kirtland, O., near Cleveland, Oct. 26, 1817, and was the first 
born of eight brothers.  His father was born in Saratoga county, N. Y., Jan, 31, 1794, and 
served in the war of the Revolution.  He possessed great physical powers and lived almost a 
century.  When 93 years old he walked fourteen miles in half a day- Mr. MOORE taught school 
previous to coming to Pekin, Ill, when 21 years old.  He then had only $5 in his pocket.  He 
there read law while acting as deputy county clerk and was admitted to practice at Springfield
in July, 1841.  A month later he came to Clinton, being the first lawyer to locate here.  Four
years later, Aug. 14, 1845, he was married to Miss Elizabeth RICHMOND of Tazewell county, with
whom he became acquainted while in Pekin.  Four children were born to them, only one of whom 
Arthur, is living.  A daughter, the wife of Congressman WARNER, died about ten years ago.  Two
died in infancy.  His wife died May 30, 1871, and in July, 1873, he was married to Miss Rose 
ONSTITE, of North Amherst, O., who survives him.  His only direct descendants are his son 
Arthur and the children of Congressman WARNER.  They are Clifton H., John, Vesper, Winifred and
Frances.  All live in Clinton, except Vesper who is in Kansas.  The following brothers survive
him: M. MOORE, of Farmer City; Blish MOORE, near DeWitt; A. C. MOORE, of Ohio and H. C. MOORE,
of Iowa.

A few years after coming to Clinton he formed a law partnership with the late Henry S. GREENE, 
which continued several years.  After its dissolution Mr. MOORE had no law partner until his 
son-in-law, Vespasian WARNER, became associated with him.  Soon after that time he retired
from active practice in the courts, leaving the conducting of cases at the bar to his young and
ambitious partner.  This partnership began in February 1868, over 33 years ago.  In all that 
time they never had a misunderstanding or an unfriendly word.  Since 1894 R.- A. LEMON had
been associated with them.

When Mr. MOORE located in Clinton he was a Whig and in the forming of the Republican party 
became one of its strongest advocates.  Being a personal friend of LINCOLN he attended the 
National convention in 1860, and did much toward his nomination.  There is no doubt that
Mr. MOORE could have had a good position under LINCOLN, but he was averse to political 
positions, and always advised young men to avoid seeking office.  The only office that Mr. 
MOORE ever held was as a member of the constitutional convention in 1870 to "revise, alter and
amend the constitution of Illinois."

He was never a member of any church, but it is said the Universalist church belief is nearest 
his.  He was long a member of the Masonic order, and among its most honored members.

His Wealth Estimated.

Mr. MOORE's wealth has been a matter of discussion since his death and various estimates have 
been made.  No one seems able to give near a correct estimate.  Congressman WARNER says he is 
sure it is not less than one million and would not be surprised if it is as much as two millions
of dollars.  He thinks the raise in the value of land the last ten years would not fall far 
short of adding a million dollars to his wealth.  His life tells stronger than words the 
possibilities for the young man in a new and rich country.  And the fact that his life work and
the estimation of the wealth he has accumulated were told by him in a letter to an uncle before
he left Ohio, while a school teacher, reveals a foresight and resolution for future work that 
have few equals.  This letter was kept by the one to whom it was written until about four
years ago when it was returned to the writer, and is said to be among his papers.  The Register
hopes to be able to publish it at no distant day.

At this time no one seems to know the exact amount of land owned by Mr. MOORE, but in 1887 a 
report given out by him placed the number at ten thousand acres in Illinois and seven thousand 
acres in Iowa, besides city and personal property.  With this estimate it would appear he
was worth about one million dollars at that time.  Since then land in Illinois has about doubled
in value and in Iowa it is worth three-fourths more than then, besides many farms have been 
added to his estate.

The first tax receipt ever received by Mr. MOORE from a collector was for thirteen cents, and is
yet among his papers.  For several years previous to his death his taxes had been from $11,000
to $13,000, at least half of which was  an property in this county. His yearly income is 
estimated to be from  $30,000 to $40,000. At prevailing rentals for land it would have been
from $10,000 to $15,000 more.

Liberal to His Renters.

Most of his land  was rented for one-third the crop, and when cash was paid, he never asked 
over $3.50 per acre, saying no man could afford to pay more than that cash rent on a farm year
after year.  He was lenient with his renters, and so long as they proved themselves honest and
industrious they were never requested to give possession.  Many of his renters have occupied the
same farms from ten to twenty years.  As evidence of how his renters felt toward him, John ELLIS
said to a Register representative Tuesday: "I have lost the best friend I had." Mr. ELLIS has
lived an the same farm three miles east of DeWitt twenty-one years, and though he has 480 acres
of as good land as there is in the county, he paid only $1,000 a year, a little over $2 an acre,
and the lease has two years to run.  No doubt many others feel as does Mr. ELLIS.


The life of Mr. MOORE furnishes much room for reflection.  The eighty and three years he lived
tell a story that it would be well could it be impressed upon the mind of every young man 
seeking to become prominent and wealthy, the two goals which so many perish in striving to 
reach.  Leaving home at 18 years, starting to make his way in the world, he succeeded beyond any
fond dreams that may have disturbed his young mind.  As he grew in wealth he grew in ability and
legal fame.  He took rank with the leading lawyers of his state, and though he gave of the force
of his character and the strength of his ability to assist others to positions of remunerative 
responsibility, he refused to accept similar kindness in return.  He had chosen, perhaps in 
youth, to live free of the bickering and annoyances of public life, and no arguments or 
prospects of great fame could swerve him from his purpose.  He chose to live a quiet and 
unassuming life with his family and his people.  Clinton was his home, and he had two homes in 
Clinton, his residence and his office. About as much time was spent at one as the other, even 
up to Wednesday of last week which was his last day at his office.  A paralytic stroke three 
months ago had convinced him his days were fast nearing the end, and he had told Mr. WARNER
only a few days before his fatal illness that others would soon have to look after his business.
And when a severe attack of stomach trouble compelled him to remain in his bed, he knew.  Death
was standing at his chamber door . . . .

Funeral Obsequies.

At 2 o'clock yesterday a very large number of friends attended the services at the palatial home
in north part of the city.  From 9 till 12 in the forenoon time had been given for friends to 
see the familiar face of the honored citizen, yet so many from farther parts of the county were
unable to be present in the forenoon that the opportunity was extended just before and after the
services, which were conducted by Rev.  C. W. E. GOSSOW, assisted by Revs.  E. A. GILLILAND, S. 
C. BLACK, M. A. DOOLING, and T. A. CANADY.  Singing was by a selected choir.  The sermon of Rev.
GOSSOW impressed all who heard it.  His kind words of the deceased brought tears from many.  A
large portion of those present could not be seated in the spacious rooms, being compelled to 
remain on the outside . . . .


The following obituary appeared in the 29 January 1886 issue of The Clinton Public.

Another Citizen of DeWitt County Called to Rest.

William M. Moore died at his residence in this city on Thursday morning, January 28.  For
some months his health had been bad, but he nor his family apprehended any danger.  Mr.
Moore was born in Loudon county, Virginia, an the 25th of December, 1831, which made
him fifty-four years and thirty-three days old at the time of his death.  In the spring of 1857
he came to Illinois and on the 9th of May arrived in DeWitt county.  He first settled in Creek
township, but in 1863 he removed to Texas township and engaged in farming and the stock
business with the late Robert Magill.  On the lst of January, 1879, he was elected
superintendent of the county poor farm, which position he held for two years.  After leaving
the poor farm he did not engage in any permanent business.  He represented Texas township
for two terms in the board of supervisors, and for four years served as deputy sheriff.  He was
a member of Maroa Lodge, No. 314, I. 0. 0. F. The funeral services will take place
to-morrow afternoon, at two o'clock, from his late residence, and will be conducted by the
Odd Fellows . . . .


The following article appeared in the 8 March 1889 issue of The Clinton Public.

At her home in this city, on last Tuesday morning, Mrs. Mary J. Morris died at the meridian
of life, her age being fifty-one years and twenty-one days.  For two years preceding her death
she had been an invalid.  Two years ago she moved with her family to Iowa, and when Mr.
George H. Beatty, her son-in-law, came back to this city to engage in business, Mrs. Morris
returned with him.  Mrs. Morris was born in Decatur on the 12th of February, 1838, and was
the daughter of Mr. William Reddick, and a granddaughter of old Colonel Wallace.  She was
the mother of three children, two of whom preceded her to the better land.  Her only
surviving child is the wife of Mr. George H. Beatty . . . .


The following article appeared in the 22 April 1904 issue of The Clinton Register.

DEATH OF A PIONEER. Another of Clinton's Aged Fathers Called to His Final
Rest--Nearly Ninety Years Old.

William Bates Morse, who has been bowed down with the infirmities of old age for three
years, passed to his rest at his home on South Quincy street about 4 o'clock Saturday morning
April 16. He had been confined to his bed nearly all winter, and was unable to care for
himself.  With his death another of the pioneer residents of Clinton passed to his eternal
reward.  He was born in Pawtucket, R. I., July 19, 1816, aged 87 years, 8 months and 17
days.  When 2 years old his parents moved to Union county, O., and remained there until
1849, when they came to Illinois, settling in Coles county.  Two years later Mr. Morse came
to DeWitt county, which has since been his home, except one year spent in Nebraska.  He
first located west of Clinton and engaged in the dairy business.  Previous to moving to
Clinton ten years ago, most of the time since 1851 had been spent near this city.  He was a
stonemason and helped in the construction of the I.C.R.R. through the city, as he also took
the contract or assisted in the construction of some of the best brick buildings of the town. 
His father, Joseph Morse, was a Christian minister in Union county, O., and was much
beloved.  He was the father of twelve children, of whom Mr. Morse was the eleventh; all are
dead save his older brother, Isaac Morse, of this city, who is yet hale and hearty.

Early in the fifties Mr. Morse became a member of the Christian church of this city . . . . In
the prime of manhood he served as constable and deputy sheriff and was drill master for
soldiers who left this locality for the civil war.  He was a staunch Republican and was ever
ready to contend for its principles.  Being unable to go to the war himself on account of
afflictions, he furnished two sons who did active service, one dying with disease and the
other from starvation in Andersonville prison.

He enlisted in the Mexican war and gave a willing service for a short time only, as the war
soon closed . . . .

He was married thrice and was the father of fifteen children, nine of whom, with his wife and
brother, survive him.  Besides his wife those living are: Mrs. Rumula Reynolds, Paris, Cal.;
Mrs. Asenath Garton, Kenney, Ill.; Ray Morse, DeWitt Co., Ill.; Mrs. Maggie Ridenour,
Nevada, Mo.; Mrs. Lydia Lowe, Kenney, Ill.; Mrs. Lena Robb, Lexington, Neb.; Mrs. Una
Munyon, Lake Fork, Ill.; Orvie L. Morse, Clinton, Ill.

There are forty grandchildren and forty-one great-grandchildren living.

Funeral services were held at the residence Monday afternoon at 2:30, conducted by Rev. L. B. 
Pickerill, of De Land, assisted by Rev. E. A. Gilliland.  Interment in Woodlawn cemetery.
DWCGSQ: Home Page: